Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Physical Road Signs, Spiritual Blessings

Why do we have road signs?
They're just big, metal signs on poles.
Why do we have road signs? Especially in parking lots. I always thought they were pretty useless. Until my sister started driving.
She had mocked me plenty when I started driving so I decided to 'pay her back.' She was going to drive our 15-passenger van and so I hopped into the back with my homework, ready to have a grand time.
We got to a parking lot and my sister practiced driving and stopping and following the lane lines and the street signs. I thought I would have a lot of laughs. That, unfortunately, was not the case. In fact, I think I shrieked a couple of times.
The road signs were difficult for my sister to follow because she was trying to focus on so many things at once. She began to feel overwhelmed and didn't know which part of driving was most important for her to put more of her attention into. (I'm sure that my stifled screams didn't help the situation.)

I have noticed that when I have too many things on my plate, I tend to begin to feel overwhelmed and then I lose perception of which things are most important. Just like road signs that are tucked away on the side of the road,  I forget that the little things, like reading my scriptures and going to bed on time, are the most important things that I could be doing.
Yet those road signs keep us in the correct lanes, keep us going the correct direction, help to know which road leads where. Without these little signs, many of us would be very, very lost.
Likewise, the "little" commandments - scripture study, continual prayer, fasting, going to church, etc - can be overlooked. However, lots of trouble comes from overlooking these simple steps. It was difficult for my sister to focus on the road signs but when she finally did, driving came much more easily and was much more safe.
In Doctrine and Covenants 29:34, the Lord says, "...all things unto me are spiritual, and not at any time have I given unto you a law which was temporal..."
All things are for our spiritual, as well as temporal, well-being. The road signs of life are to bless us and bring us in closer harmony with God's will for us as His children. He will never give us a law that serves no purpose.
Let's follow the little road signs of life and God has promised that, "when we obtain any blessing from God, it is by obedience to that law upon which it is predicated." (Doctrine and Covenants 130:21)

No comments:

Post a Comment