Wednesday, April 2, 2014

For 3 or for 48

For those of you not living in Northern Virginia right now, we got a whopping 48 hours worth of rain, snow, sleet, hail, and various other types of precipitation. It finally stopped and the sun came out! It has been glorious to be outside ever since the rain stopped. There's a light breeze, the sun is shining, there are no clouds to cover the bright blue sky.
When the rain started my companion and I commented, "We really hope this only lasts a little while....'cause...it needs to be warm."
We were helping someone move and as we were putting boxes and bags and furniture into their van the precipitation didn't calm down. It didn't leave. In fact, it started to rain even harder. Bah.
The next morning we woke up and it was STILL raining! Land sakes! I was starting to get a little irked. I just wanted spring to finally come and all we were getting was cold and rain and wind!
For the rest of the day we were rained on and then it turned to snowy-slush and then back to rain. I love rainy days. I think they're beautiful, but when there is no reprieve, I eventually begin to feel like I'm being drowned and I miss having color in the world.
When the rain finally let up my companion said, "You never know if it's going to rain for 3 hours or for 48!"

For most people that would seem like a normal comment about the weather. It really struck me, though.

Everyone goes through trials. Everyone has their share of hard times and struggles. Over the past little while there have been trials faced that made me ask, "How much longer is this going to last?" My companion gave me the answer: "You never know if it's going to rain for 3 hours or for 48."

I don't know how long my trials may last. In fact, I don't know what kinds of trials I will face throughout my life. I do know, however, that the Lord has promised blessings to those who keep going, who endure to the end. One of my favorite scriptures says, "My [child], peace be unto thy soul; thine adversity and thine afflictions shall be but a small moment; And then, if thou endure it well, God shall exalt thee on high..." (Doctrine and Covenants 121:7,8)
May we ever remember the Lord's promise that "...all these things shall give thee experience, and shall be for thy good....hold on thy way...for God shall be with you forever and ever." (Doctrine and Covenants 122:7,9)

No comments:

Post a Comment