Thursday, January 9, 2014

Simple Music, Simple Truths

I remember a story that my mom told me. She said that my family was watching General Conference with my grandmother when I was a baby. The moment that the organ in the Conference Center began playing, my head turned toward the T.V. and my grandma said, "She's going to love music."
And I do. I have always been surrounded by and been a part of music, whether it is coming from the T.V, the radio, the CD player, an Ipod, a piano, or a voice. Throughout the years, I have found that some of the most beautiful and simply profound music is sung by the children in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. In their Sunday classes, they learn songs such as "I Am a Child of God," "I Love to See the Temple," "Seek the Lord Early," and "Love One Another."
The lyrics and simple melodies are one of the greatest ways I have found to strengthen and share my testimony of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
Just the other day my companion and I were teaching a lesson. As we neared the end of the lesson, a song came to mind that is from the Primary songbook. I had the opportunity to sing this short and yet powerful song entitled "If With All Your Hearts." It is a total of three stanzas and 13 bars long. Yet the message that it bears is worth listening to, hearing, and acting upon.
     "If with all your hearts ye truly seek me,
      Ye shall ever surely find me,
      Thus saith our God.
      Ye shall ever surely find me,
      Thus saith our God."   (Words: Julius Schubring; Music: From Elijah by Felix Mendelssohn)

In this little five-line Primary song, the children learn that God will hear them and that if they will seek out the Lord through prayer and their study of the scriptures, they will find Him.
What a promise to teach the youth!
And what a promise to teach the adults as well.
I have found that, as adults, we tend to over-complicate everything. Especially things that God has commanded us to do. We search for the magic way to make His commandments easier to live and follow.
However, every Sunday the children are learning that the easiest way to obey the commandments is to simply do exactly what the Lord has taught. If we truly desire to come to know the Lord, then we must seek Him out through prayer, scripture study, attending church, living clean and pure lives, and following His commandments as exactly as we can.
As I sang the song "If With All Your Hearts," my understanding of the things that God has commanded us increased. My testimony of the simplicity of the way to return to the presence of our Heavenly Father, grew. Through the brief yet profound words of a children's song, my love of my Savior increased, as did my gratitude to Him for the knowledge He has blessed me with.
Never overlook the things the children are learning. For, "Jesus called them unto him, and said, Suffer little children to come unto me, and forbid them not: for of such is the kingdom of God." (Luke 18:16)
The testimonies of children, strengthened through the simple music that they are taught, are strong enough to build others' testimonies, strengthen families, and allow the Holy Spirit to be in their home.
And music, though small and simple, can "confound the wise and bring[...] about the salvation of many souls." (Alma 37:7)

No comments:

Post a Comment