Friday, January 3, 2014

Seeing Through Christ's Eyes

In 2011, Brad Wilcox gave a talk at a BYU devotional entitled, "His Grace is Sufficient." (Brad Wilcox: His Grace is Sufficient)  In it he asks what Christ expects of us because He paid the price for our sins and mistakes and WHY Christ can expect these things of us. He also gives the answer:

"Christ’s arrangement with us is similar to a mom providing music lessons for her child. Mom pays the piano teacher...Because Mom pays the debt in full, she can turn to her child and ask for something...Practice! Does the child’s practice pay the piano teacher? No. Does the child’s practice repay Mom for paying the piano teacher? No. Practicing is how the child shows appreciation for Mom’s incredible gift. It is how he takes advantage of the amazing opportunity Mom is giving him to live his life at a higher level. Mom’s joy is found not in getting repaid but in seeing her gift used—seeing her child improve. And so she continues to call for practice, practice, practice.
If the child sees Mom’s requirement of practice as being too overbearing (“Gosh, Mom, why do I need to practice? None of the other kids have to practice! I’m just going to be a professional baseball player anyway!”), perhaps it is because he doesn’t yet see with mom’s eyes. He doesn’t see how much better his life could be if he would choose to live on a higher plane.
In the same way, because Jesus has paid justice, He can now turn to us and say, “Follow me” (Matthew 4:19), “Keep my commandments” (John 14:15). If we see His requirements as being way too much to ask (“Gosh! None of the other Christians have to pay tithing! None of the other Christians have to go on missions, serve in callings, and do temple work!”), maybe it is because we do not yet see through Christ’s eyes. We have not yet comprehended what He is trying to make of us....Put simply, if Jesus didn't require practice, then we would never become pianists."

Just as Brad Wilcox talks about how Christ's grace can help us to become better and more like Him, it also helps us to change. In fact, the whole point of Christ's Atoning sacrifice is so that we can change.

I have taken piano lessons since I was seven years old. After the first couple of years we found a very good piano teacher in our area. I studied with her for a number of years and grew a lot. However, after several years I began to hate lessons. I had never been spectacular at practicing and as my pieces became harder and harder to play on the spot, I was reprimanded more and more for not practicing. I felt like I was being berated and the more I felt that I was being berated, the more I hated practicing and the more angry I became until I was close to quitting. 
Suddenly, through various circumstances, it became necessary for me to switch to a different piano teacher. I was given the option of quitting or going to see this new teacher and see how I liked her.
From the first moment I met her, all she did was love me. She listened to me play the pieces I was currently working on and she encouraged me. I came to love her in return. She would show me piano pieces and offer suggestions but then would allow me to choose much of my music.
My desire to play the piano and practice came back, renewed and afire. I was happy to go to my lessons every week - in fact, I looked forward to them and was sad when it was time to leave. I loved my teacher; I loved my music.
For me, it wasn't that I simply needed to practice and go through the actions, it was that I needed to find and renew my DESIRE. When my desire returned full-force, everything else fell into place.

For us to find and access the Atonement of Jesus Christ, for us to receive His grace, we must have a desire first and foremost. That desire will be gained and strengthened as we read the scriptures, especially The Book of Mormon, and pray daily. Going to church, seminary, institute and applying the talks in General Conference will also help to kindle or rekindle a desire to bring our lives more into accordance with the things that God expects of us and has commanded us to do. As we seek for a greater desire to obey the commandments, we are promised that God will bless us. He also promises that we will find that, "...[His] grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before [Him]..." (Ether 12:27)

No comments:

Post a Comment