Tuesday, August 26, 2014

My Personal Discipleship - Never Look Back

"...our personal descipleship will not be judged by friends or foes. Rather...at that day the important question for each of us will be, 'What thinks Christ of me?'" (Elder Neil L. Andersen, "What Thinks Christ of Me?" Ensign, May 2012)

CALLED TO SERVE
Over a year ago I received a large white envelope in the mail. The return address was Salt Lake City. When I opened it I read the words, "“Dear Sister Herring: You are hereby called to serve as a missionary of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. You are assigned to labor in the Washington DC South Mission.”
I had never been back East. I didn't know what to expect except the heat and humidity. Yet the moment I read those words, "Washington DC South Mission," I knew that was where the Lord needed me to be. There were people whom I would have the privilege of teaching and serving and helping. There would be plenty of lessons for me to learn. There were going to be so many opportunities for me to strengthen my testimony of the Gospel of Jesus Christ and to become more fully converted and help others do the same. This was going to be the time of my life!

I went to the Missionary Training Center (MTC) in Utah and from there to Northern Virginia. I met my companion and we drove for about an hour to get to my first area.
Within the span of the first 24 hours, I was already wondering if I was going to make it to 18 months. I was scared to talk to anyone, I didn't know what to say or what scriptures to share and I was afraid that everyone hated me. I felt ridiculous at times.
As I kept meeting people and learning more about the teachings of Jesus Christ, my confidence grew and I continued to become more and more happy as I saw others come closer to Christ as they felt the Holy Spirit.

THE FIRST GREAT ADVENTURE
Six weeks after coming to Virginia, my companion and I were in the middle of our nightly prayers. The phone began its shrill ringing that always made me want to throw it when it woke me up in the morning. I was the closest to the phone and so I flopped onto the floor next to where it was charging. "Hello, this is Sister Herring and Sister Bell!"
"Sister Herring! Are you ready to train [a new missionary]?"
My companion leaped over to where I was lying on the floor and I numbly handed it to her. I put my head in my arms and cried.
That week I went to our meeting where we get new companions and are transferred to different areas around the mission. I waited anxiously, praying that the Lord would help me because I had no idea what I was doing.
When I saw my mission president driving up with the new missionaries my panic began to increase. President walked up my trainer and I and said, "Sister Herring, how are you feeling?" I couldn't say anything. I was close to tears. I finally choked out the word "Terrified." President looked at me and said, "Sister Herring, when you walk in those doors you can't show your fear. Those new missionaries are going to look at you as an example and you can't show that you are afraid. Walk in, put on a smile. The Lord will help you."
So I did.
I've never regretted it.

No comments:

Post a Comment