Friday, December 27, 2013

A Change of Heart

I remember a time only a year or so ago. I was in college, I was working to provide for myself, and I was trying to stay on top of all my paper work, reading, and writing. I was taking a class on The Book of Mormon and my teacher gave each of us the assignment to read from The Book of Mormon for at least 30 minutes every day.
At first I really struggled to do so. Thirty minutes out of my already insanely busy day? I didn't know if I would have the time.
There came a point when I realized that if I wanted to keep my grade in that class, I needed to begin reading. As I read, I marked off what I had studied, I filled out the study guides and I participated in class. Then I found myself loving what I was reading. I had read The Book of Mormon before, but this time was different. I began reading because I wanted to. I began reading because there was a difference in my day when I read - I was more patient, things didn't bother me as much, I wasn't as stressed and I could cope with the things I needed to.
I was becoming converted because I was reading the scriptures with a purpose - that of feeling the Spirit help me throughout the day.
Elder David A. Bednar of the Quorum of the 12 Apostles said, "Conversion is an enlarging, a deepening, and a broadening of the undergirding base of testimony." Conversion is something that must start with a basic testimony. Once we have a testimony - a basic belief that something is true or faith in something - we can then build upon that to become converted - to have a mighty change of heart and be more fully committed to living Christ-like lives. (Elder David A. Bednar, Converted Unto the Lord, General Conference, October 2012)
As we become converted to the Lord, we will have a greater desire to become like Christ and we will have a stronger desire and motivation to serve Him "with all [our] heart, might, mind, and strength." (Doctrine and Covenants 4)
We will also gain  "...a change in [our] beliefs, heart, and life to accept and conform to the will of God and...a conscious commitment to become a disciple of Christ." (Elder David A. Bednar, Converted Unto the Lord, General Conference, October 2012)
However, conversion takes work. God expects us to work to achieve things and He will not simply hand our conversion to us on a silver platter.
Sister Cheryl C. Lant, the Primary General President, said, "There is only one way to become personally converted. It is through a witness of the Spirit as we study these very scriptures that testify of Jesus Christ. It comes as we pray and as we fast. It comes only when we have a deep desire to know the truth."
Elder Bednar adds to this and states that, "[True conversion] is the result of revelation from God, accompanied by individual repentance, obedience, and diligence."
We can become converted as we turn our lives over more fully to the Lord and as we strive ever more diligently to become like Him.
May the Lord bless us in our endeavors to become converted to Him and to His Gospel.

No comments:

Post a Comment